Definition of an international student
At EGSC, an international student is an individual who meets one of the following criteria:
- Student is currently living outside the U.S. and will require an F-1 visa to study in the U.S.
- Student is not a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident and is currently in the U.S. on an F-1 visa.
- Student is currently in the U.S. on another non-immigrant visa classification, which permits part-time or full-time study.
Click picture to enlarge
Steps to apply for admission:
Complete Admissions Application - Complete the East Georgia State College application for admission and pay the non-refundable $20 Application Fee.
Submit Academic Transcripts - Must present official secondary (high school) or post secondary (college or university) transcripts; only sealed, official academic records will be accepted. Please do not submit personal copies. Transfer students with less than 30 transferable semester credit hours or 45 quarter hours of college credit must also submit high school academic records.
If coursework is from outside the United States and/or not in English, transcripts must be evaluated from one of the following approved agencies:
Josef Silny & Associates World Education Services
International Education Consultants P.O. Box 745
7101 S. W. 102nd Avenue Old Chelsea Station
Miami, Florida 33173 New York, N. Y. 10113-0745
Tel: (305) 273-1616 Tel: (800) 937-3895
Fax (305) 273-1338 Fax: (212) 966-6311
E-Mail Website E-Mail Website
Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 9203
College Station, Texas 77842
Tel: (979) 690-8912
Fax: (512) 528-9293
Submit Proof of English Proficiency - International students whose first language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency. Completion of a test of English language proficiency is required of all applicants. However, any student who has successfully completed a learning support course in English and/or reading as part of a program of English as a second language will not be required to take the placement exam in English and/or reading. Please refer to the chart below for approved exams and minimum standards or some other USG-approved evaluation of English.
Submit Proof of Financial Resources - F-1 international students must verify that either the student or his/her sponsor has the necessary funds to pay for tuition and living expenses while the student is enrolled at EGSC. An official bank statement or bank letter on bank letterhead signed and stamped by a bank official showing available balance to cover the student’s expenses for one academic year is required (in the amount of at least $20,000). International students are not eligible for any financial assistance. The College reserves the right to request funds for one year from countries in which students experience unusual difficulty in sending money out of their country.
Apply for the I-20 - To begin process, student must first submit a "SEVIS Data Form” along with their Financial Statement before applying for a Student Visa. It is the policy of East Georgia State College not to issue any Certificate of Eligibility for non-immigrant (F-1) student status (Form I-20) until all international student admission requirements have been met and student has been accepted to the college. Since no Form I-20 will be issued within thirty (30) days prior to the date of registration, international students are encouraged to have their admissions file completed at least 60 days in advance of the start of their semester of entrance.
- Obtain Health Insurance - All International students are required to present evidence of personally acquired health and accident insurance from: United Healthcare/Student Resources. This must be done within 30 days of the first day of classes.
- Provide Immunization Records - Submit the required Certification of Immunization form with required immunizations no later than 3 weeks after classes have begun.
- International students with F-1 student visas are required to take a full course load (12 semester hours) Fall and Spring semester.
- East Georgia State College reserves the right to admit only an international applicant who is academically qualified, who has proven his/her ability to meet the financial requirements while in attendance, and who has qualified for the appropriate visa type.
- East Georgia State College is a residential campus; however, the student must apply for Housing 30 days prior to attendance. Students assume responsibility for their own housing and there is no guarantee of availability in residential dorms.
|Minimum Score for Admission|
|Computer TOEFL (no longer available)||193|
|Pearson Academic (PTE)||53|
|MELAB MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery)||77|
|Cambridge CAE (Certificate of Advanced English)||169 (old scale 52)|
|Cambridge CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English)||Pass|
|Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) IGCSE and “O” Level “English” exams||“D” or Better|
|UK GCSE “English” exam||“C” or Better|
|UK GCE A-Level “English” exam||“C” or Better|
|Edexcel International A-Levels and IGCSE English exams||“D” or Better|
|Completion of an approved USG campus-based ESL program of study.||Per USG campus regulations.|
|A waiver can be granted to students from countries where English is the native language and/or the official language for academic instruction.||Per USG campus review.|
Students that have SAT, ACT, or Accuplacer scores are asked to visit the site here to see where your course placement could be.