New Redesigned SAT Requirement
If you have taken the NEW redesigned SAT, the official test score report must include all six test scores, please see the instructions on how to print your report directly from College Board (as it can take up to 6 weeks to be mailed to our office). All six scores are needed to be converted from NEW SAT to OLD SAT. To see where your test score would convert to, please view the concordance tables for NEW SAT to OLD SAT.
As of December 1, the Compass Placement Exam was replaced with the AccuPlacer Entrance Exam, per USG recommendation. Accuplacer scores may be combined with SAT or ACT scores, as well the Compass exam, however SAT and ACT scores cannot be combined for superscoring. Any student taking the Accuplacer exam at another institution other than EGSC must have taken the following sections: Reading Comprehension, WritePlacer, and Elementary Algebra and meet minimum requirements before a decision can be made. A Sentence Skills score will not be accepted in place of the WritePlacer portion.
What is the Accuplacer Exam?
Accuplacer is a computer-adaptive exam used to assess college readiness in Reading, English and Math. It is part of the college admissions and enrollment process where the scores are used by advisors to help students take courses that match their skill level and give them the best opportunities for success. Personal calculators are not allowed except those provided on the testing screen. Results for the Reading Comprehension and Elementary Algebra sections will be made available upon completion of the exam, however the WritePlacer portion of the exam may take up to 24-48 hours to receive results. Please see below for exemption and placement information.
The Accuplacer exam is offered to students at the Swainsboro location Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 3:00 pm, no appointment necessary. Testing is also available, by appointment only, at our Statesboro and Augusta locations. After you complete the ACCUPLACER assessment, we will interpret your scores for placement into specific EGSC courses
If taking the ACCUPLACER for anything other than being admitted into EGSC, there is a $25 fee and tested on an as-available basis. If retaking a section of ACCUPLACER, there is a fee of $15 per test seating, regardless of section.
You can prepare for ACCUPLACER, by taking advantage of the study tools and resources. Use these tools to become familiar with the types and format of ACCUPLACER test questions. They can also help you identify the academic areas where you may need a little help, and prepare to improve.
Exempt the Accuplacer exam
All new incoming freshmen are required to take the entrance exam, unless they can exempt sections by meeting the ACT/SAT minimum test requirements and the completion of the 4 Required High School Curriculum (RHSC) units of English and the 4 Required High School Curriculum (RHSC) units of Math. The exemption scores are as follows:
|Minimum Scores to Exempt Learning Support Screening||Minimum Scores for Admissions||Minimum High School GPA|
|Old SAT||Critical Reading||430||N/A||2.0|
*2010-2012 graduates ONLY; Satisfies only the WritePlacer and Reading Comprehension sections.
|Measure or Score||Recommended Maximum “Age”|
|SAT/ACT||7 years from date of administration|
|HSGPA||5 years from date of graduation|
|COMPASS||1 year from date of administration|
|Accuplacer||1 year from date of administration|
Transfer students that have taken ENGL 1101 and/or MATH 1111 or higher level course from approved institutions are exempt from the entrance exam requirement.
Submit your SAT scores via College Board (SAT school code – 5200) or submit your ACT scores via ACT (ACT school code – 0799) for evaluation. Students are permitted to print an official ACT score report or an official SAT score report for review.
- Students must bring a Photo ID to the test for identity verification.
- Cell phones are NOT permitted in the testing lab.
- Students are strongly encouraged to practice and review prior to taking the exam.
- Personal calculators are not permitted in the testing lab as there is a calculator built into the test for you to use.
- This test is computerized. The Reading Comprehension and Elementary Algebra sections are not timed while the WritePlacer has a 60 minute time limit.
- There is no cost for this test if the student has applied for admission to EGSC. There is a $25 fee if the student is not an EGSC applicant.
- Children are not allowed in the testing room and cannot be left alone outside of the testing area.
- Students currently enrolled in Learning Support classes are not eligible to retest as registering for classes will immediately eliminate the retest option — no exceptions.
- Per University System policy, students are only allowed three attempts at the ACCUPLACER in a one year period, including remote testing.
- The retest must be taken before the Admission deadline date for that term.
- Students must wait at least one week between exam and first retest as well as completed at least 6 hours of remediation.
- Students who have tested two times and have not obtained acceptable scores must wait at least one month after their first retest as well as completed at least 20 hours of remediation.
- Students who have tested three times and have not obtained acceptable scores must wait at least a year from the date of the first exam before testing again.
- A $15 retest fee is assessed for each seated visit, not per test section.
- The retest fee may be paid at the time of testing and receipt must be shown for verification.
If you identify yourself as a student with disability (or have an IEP or 504 plan), all requests for accommodations must be made as early as possible, at least 30 days in advance of the need. Documentation of disability must be submitted and pre-approved prior ro testing. For further information regarding accommodations, please contact the Counseling and Disability Services Office at (478) 289-2039.
Office of Student Affairs
131 College Circle
Swainsboro Georgia 30401
Phone: (478) 289-2169
Fax: (478) 289-2353