Verification of Lawful Presence

In accordance with Board of Regents policy, all applicants who are accepted for admission or re-admission to Georgia Southern University are required to provide validation of lawful presence in the United States in order to receive in-state tuition or other state benefits.

Failure to confirm legal presence by the first day of classes will result in an out-of-state residency classification and out-of-state fees will be assessed.

Who Should be Verified?

All students receiving in-state tuition or benefits must prove their lawful presence in the U.S.

U.S. Citizens

Students who file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and are eligible for federal aid may have their lawful presence verified as part of this process.

  • A current ID or Driver's License issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008. Temporary/interim paper licenses and licenses marked “limited term” are not acceptable.
  • A current Driver’s License issued by a U.S. state that issues REAL ID compliant licenses. Only unexpired licenses with the REAL ID symbol may be accepted. Click here for a list of eligible states and the requirements for acceptance.
  • A copy of an original or certified U.S. birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal. The copy must clearly show the raised or written seal to be acceptable. Copies that are not clear or do not show the seal cannot be accepted.
  • A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
  • A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
  • A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240).
  • A current U.S. Passport.
  • A current military ID (service member only, not dependent). Service members must present the military ID to our Admissions office for further documentation. A photocopy is not acceptable.
  • A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551). We require the front and back side of your Permanent Resident Card. It must not expire before the first day of class of the term.
Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a U.S. Permanent Resident, upload a front and back copy of your current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I551).

If you are an F-1 international student, you will meet with the Designated School Official upon arrival at your mandatory immigration check-in to verify your immigration documents and status through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

Deferred Action Status (DACA)

Students in Deferred Action (DACA) status do not qualify for in state tuition based on Board of Regents Policy