Let's Get Associated.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What will academic counseling be like?

Sessions will vary for each student, as individual needs will dictate how often we meet and what we will work on in session.  Some students meet on a weekly basis for a short session to make sure they’re staying on track, and others only need a few sessions to learn the skills they need and do not need to follow up.  In our initial appointment we will discuss your concerns and develop a plan for counseling that we can modify as needed to meet your needs.

How can academic counseling help me?

Academic counseling can help students who are struggling with their coursework due to a variety of reasons.  We can help you develop a schedule or learn how to use a planner, as well as give tips on organizational techniques.  If study skills are your area of concern, we can help you determine your learning style, and then discuss study skills/habits that will be most effective for you.  One major concern many students bring to us is test anxiety.  This is an area where we can teach you techniques to manage the anxiety as well as how to better prepare yourself for exams.

If you feel like you may be getting off course with your academics, we can help!

Is academic counseling tutoring?

Academic counseling is not a tutoring service.  For information about EGSC’s free tutoring services, click here.

Can I take classes from East Georgia State College before I graduate from high school?

Yes, you can through our Dual Enrollment program, now referred to as Move On When Ready

What if I attend a private institution?

You can enroll as a MOWR student as long as you meet the guidelines listed below.

What are the requirements to participate in the MOWR program?
  • Attend a MOWR participating school public or private secondary educational institution within the State of Georgia or a home study program operated pursuant to §O.C.G.A. 20-2-690 that has been approved by the Georgia Student Finance Commission. Ask your guidance counselor to be sure your school is approved to participate.
  • Eligible SAT, ACT, Compass or Accuplacer test scores
  • SAT: Minimum Critical Reading 430/Math 400, composite of 970 (if taken prior to March 2016)


             Minimum Reading subscore 24/Math subscore 22 (if taken after March 2016)

  • ACT: Minimum English 17/Math 17, composite of 20
  • Compass: Minimum Reading 74/Writing 60/Algebra 37
  • AccuPlacer: Minimum Reading 61/WritePlacer 4/Elementary Algebra 79*. If Reading score is 75 or higher, WritePlacer is not required

*An Algebra score of 79 is required for students who need MATH 1111 (College Algebra) for the Honors Track or if their intended program of study requires College Algebra. An Algebra score of 67 is required only if the student does not need College Algebra for the Honors Track and their intended program of study only requires MATH 1001 (Quantitative Reasoning) or MATH 1101 (Mathematical Modeling).

  • Have a High School academic GPA of 3.0 or higher (as calculated by the Office of Admissions).
  • Obtain approval from high school guidance counselor and parents/guardians
  • Be on track to complete the Required High School Curriculum (RHSC), as defined by the University System of Georgia.
What is the EGSC @Statesboro location?

Since 1997, more than 9,300 students have attended East Georgia State College at Statesboro (EGSC-S). The EGSC-Statesboro initiative was designed to give qualified students the opportunity to attend East Georgia State College at Statesboro without being referred by Georgia Southern University.

At EGSC-Statesboro, students can enjoy personalized instruction in smaller classes with teachers who are committed to the field of education. After completing 30 hours of college-level coursework, East Georgia State College students who have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 or better are eligible to transfer to Georgia Southern University, or another university-level institution, though many choose to attend classes in Swainsboro and complete the requirements for an Associate in Arts degree.

Additionally, while at EGSC-Statesboro, students enjoy many of the benefits of Georgia Southern University, including cultural events, campus meal plans, intramural sports, library use, fitness extension facilities, athletic tickets, marching band, and more. Students attending EGSC-Statesboro are also eligible to enroll in health and physical education classes through Georgia Southern University.

What is the EGSC @Augusta location?

At EGSC-Augusta, students can enjoy personalized instruction in smaller classes with teachers who are committed to the field of education. After completing 30 hours of college-level coursework, East Georgia State College students who have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 or better are eligible to transfer to Augusta University, or another university-level institution, though many choose to attend classes in Swainsboro and complete the requirements for an Associate in Arts degree.

While at EGSC-Augusta on the Summerville campus, you will be able to use GRU classrooms and you will be issued a Augusta University ID card which entitles you to use the GRU library, recreation center and some of the food services that Augusta University offers.

What are the minimum general admission requirements for high school graduates?

If you are a recent graduate or have graduated within the last 5 years, you are considered a traditional student. You must graduate from an accredited high school, passed all five areas of the graduation exam or the end of course test or have earned a GED. Students that receive a Certificate of Attendance or Performance/Special Education diploma will be required to get a GED before acceptance.

I have a GED but my high school class has not graduated yet. Can I attend EGSC?

Students who submit GED scores prior to their graduating class will be considered for admission on a case by case basis.

Are students required to take the SAT or ACT test?

Effective June 1, 2005, East Georgia State College no longer requires the SAT or ACT for admission purposes. Students that have scores are asked to submit their scores as they may be able to exempt our entrance exam. Otherwise students without SAT/ACT scores will be required to take our entrance exam prior to admission.

What are the 17 Required High School Curriculum (RHSC) units?

For students graduating prior to 2012 - 4 units of English, 4 units of Math, 3 units of Natural Science, 3 units of Social Science, and 2 units of Foreign Language (must be 2 of the same language). Students enrolling for the Fall 2012 and subsequent semesters will need to have completed 17 Units with an additional Natural Science Unit.

What if I did not take the 3 - Natural Science, 3 - Social Science or 2 - Foreign Languages? How will I satisfy those requirements?

You will be required to take ONE additional course in the area in which you are deficient.  The course will count in your cumulative GPA and will now count toward degree credit and in your transferable hours. You must earn a minimum of a ‘C’ in these courses. Only one course in each area is required.

What is the Accuplacer Exam?

Accuplacer is a computer-adaptive exam used to assess college readiness in Reading, English and Math. It is part of the college admissions and enrollment process where the scores are used by advisors to help students take courses that match their skill level and give them the best opportunities for success.

If your English, Reading, or Math skills are not yet at college-level, EGSC offers developmental Reading, English, and Math courses to help you.  These courses will not count toward degree and/or graduation requirements, but they can help provide you with the foundational skills which can assist you in reaching your academic goals.

Why is Accuplacer called an "adaptive" test?

The test changes or “adapts” based on your performance. If you answer questions correctly, you will receive a question of greater difficulty and higher value; if you answer a question incorrectly, you will be presented with an easier question of lesser value.

Are all students required to take the entrance exam?

All new incoming freshmen are required to take the entrance exam, unless they can exempt sections by meeting the ACT/SAT minimum test requirements and the completion of the 4 Required High School Curriculum (RHSC) units of English and the 4 Required High School Curriculum (RHSC) units of Math.

Are there any tips I should know prior to taking the entrance exam?
  • Relax→ The entrance exam is designed to help so that you can enroll in courses that are best suited for you. It is not pass/fail, and it is not timed.
  • Concentrate on the test→ Focus on test questions and tune out distractions. You want to make the most out of your testing opportunity.
  • Strategize→ Because it’s an adaptive test, you should answer every question when it is first given to you. You can change your answer before you move on to the next question, but you cannot leave a question and come back to it later. If you do not know the answer, try to eliminate one or more of the choices and then select from the remaining options.
  • Make sure you understand the directions→ Information is provided before you begin each section of the test, so make sure you read all directions. If you have questions, ask a member of the Testing Center staff.
  • Move at your own pace→ Other students may finish at different times from you. Remember, each student has a different test based on their responses, so some will have shorter tests than others. Others may only be taking a single portion of the test.
  • Do your best→ Use your knowledge, logic and common sense to work through the question, and have confidence in your ability to determine the best answer.
How long are my scores good for?

Accuplacer scores are only good for 1 year from date of administration.

What if I do not achieve the exempting score?

You will be placed into that Learning Support area and be required to successfully complete the course with a grade of ‘C’ or better.

What are the minimum entrance exam scores?
  Compass AccuPlacer ASSET
Min. Score for Writing 4 eWrite OR 
3 WritePlacer 37 Writing Skills
Min. Score for Reading 62 Reading 46 Reading Comprehension 36 Reading Skills
Min. Score for Algebra  20 Algebra 32 Elem. Algebra 31 Algebra  w/Elem Algebra
What are the scores needed to exempt Learning Support courses?
 Exempting Scores ACT Old SAT
(prior to March 2016)
(as of March 2016)
Compass AccuPlacer ASSET
Score for Writing 17 English 430 Critical Reading 24 Reading 60 Writing
OR 7 eWrite   
4 WritePlacer 42 Writing Skills
Score for Reading  17 English 430 Critical Reading 24 Reading 74 Reading 61 Reading Comprehension
If Reading Comp is 75+, WritePlacer not required
40 Reading Skills
Score for Algebra 17 Math 400 Math 22 Math 37 Algebra 67 Elem. Algebra (Math 1001, 1101)
79 Elem. Algebra (Math 1111)
42 Algebra w/Elem Algebra
What is EPI/MPI?

Entrance exam placement scores alone no longer determine placement, as per USG policy, a Mathematics Placement Index (MPI) and an English Placement Index (EPI) will be calculated based on High School Grade Point Average (HSGPA), SAT or ACT and, when indicated, and approved placement test. 

  LS Foundation
Support Range
LS Co-Requisite
Support Range
Placement Level
English Placement Index (EPI) 3032-3725 3726-4229 4230 + Above
Math Placement Index (MPI)
Math 1001 or 1101 (Non-STEM)
3032-3725 989-1164 1165 + Above
Math Placement Index (MPI)
Math 1111 (STEM)
928-988 989-1264 1265 + Above


What if I do achieve the minimum passing scores or am not required to test and wish to “opt-in” to help myself?

You are eligible to audit the courses at your own discretion in collaboration with an academic advisor.

Can I retake the Entrance Exam?

Yes, students are allowed two more attempts after the first. However prior to the third attempt, students are required to remediate(study) in our ACE for at least 26 hours.

Will there be a charge for re-testing?

Yes, $15 to re-test, no matter how many areas.  Students must pay before they re-test and receipt must be presented to the test administrator before re-testing

Who will accept the re-testing fee?

You must pay in the Business office and provide the receipt to the Admissions office before testing.

I need testing accommodations for the entrance exam, who do I speak with?

If you are a student that needs accommodations on our entrance exam, you will need to coordinate these accommodations with the Counseling and Disability Services Office (478) 289-2039.

Where can I complete the Admissions Application?

Applications must be submitted online through GAfutures website

How will I know if I am admitted?

Following receipt of your admission application and all necessary supporting documentation, your application will be reviewed.  You will receive a letter stating whether or not you have been accepted at the address you provided on your admissions application.

*Due to the amount of paperwork coming in, it can take up to three weeks for notification of Acceptance or testing requirement.

What do you mean by supporting documentation?

All applicants are required to complete an admission application, provide official unopened high school transcripts, any and all prior college or technical school transcripts, and immunization forms with records. Failure to provide this documentation can prevent or delay acceptance and or registration.

What do you mean by Immunization Records? What shots are required for admission?

All students must provide documentation from their physician, health department, etc. that they have been immunized for measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR1/MMR2), Tetanus-Diphtheria Vaccine (MTD), and proof of Chicken Pox or Shingles disease or the Varicella Vaccine (MCP) unless they claim a religious exemption. Meningococcal Vaccine (MENI) is highly recommended for those students living in on-campus housing. Students that are 18 or younger at the time of matriculation will also be required to have 3 doses of Hepatitis B Vaccine (MHPB). Students who claim religious exemption, in the event of an outbreak, will be asked to leave campus to prevent infection. Under Georgia law, we are required to notify students they may also need to be immunized for Meningitis and Hepatitis B. The Tetanus-Diphtheria Vaccine (MTD) must have been given within the past 10 years to satisfy the requirement.

If I am accepted to East Georgia State College, what is my next step?

Your acceptance letter will notify you of any outstanding documents needed for your file and will be followed up by an email to your myEGSC CatMail account telling you how to register for an Orientation date as well as when and where to come to New Student Orientation and Registration.

What is P.A.W.S. Orientation? Why is it so important?

The orientation program is where you and your parents (if they so choose to attend) will find out the "need-to-know" information about life as a college student. You will use all information provided to you during orientation at some time during the course of your academic career. You will receive an East Georgia State College Student ID card and this will be the only opportunity to register for your classes.

The entrance exam will need to be completed PRIOR to Orientation, as we no longer test students during that time. Students that attend Orientation and have not fulfilled that requirement will be asked to come back at a later date.

If you are unable to attend any of the available Orientations, unfortunately you must wait until Schedule Adjustment, which is the first three days of classes, to be able to register for any available classes.

Do I have to attend the P.A.W.S. Orientation program?

Yes - Attendance is mandatory regardless of the campus attending unless you are an Dual Enrollment, Transient, or Non-Degree Seeking/Post-Baccalaureate Student. MOWR students will have a separate Orientation and they will be notified of that date via their high school counselor.

When will I actually be registered?

At the end of the orientation program with AN advisor, not your specific one. Based on your major or campus location, you will be assigned an Advisor after classes begin by the Registrar’s office prior to the next semester’s Early Registration period.

You mentioned an academic advisor. How will I know who that is?

At the new student orientation/registration, advisement is handled in a random manner.  You will be advised and registered by your group leader.  Prior to your first ‘early’ registration for a subsequent semester, you can look on-line by logging in with your user ID and pin# to your myEGSC account via BannerWeb under the Student Services>View Student Information>Registration window, or by going to the academic department and determine the name of your permanently assigned advisor.

I still have questions and nothing on here has an answer for me. Who can I contact?

If you have questions regarding the following:

  • admissions process and/or documents
  • testing
  • Orientation
  • Financial Aid
  • scholarships
  • student loans/tax papers
  • VA Benefits
  • GI Bill use
  • registration
  • proctored exams
  • account holds

please contact the Student Affairs Office at (478) 289-2169 or through the Student Affair contact form.

If you have questions regarding payments, student insurance plans, tuition amounts, etc. please contact the Business Office at 478-289-2000.

If you're not sure who to contact, please call Student Affairs and we will direct you to the right person.  

How do I know how much my tuition and fees are?

Email invoices are sent to students' East Georgia State College Cat Mail account after registration.  You can also check your Banner Web account to determine your tuition and fee charges.

If I am receiving financial aid, how can I determine if it has been processed and applied to my charges?

Check your Banner Web account to determine if your financial aid has been applied to your charges.

If my financial aid has been processed and I am receiving a refund, when will it be available?

East Georgia State College and BankMobile Disbursements, formerly known as HigherOne, have formed a partnership to handle refunds. The first disbursement of Financial Aid Refunds for a semester is usually three weeks into the semester for Fall and Spring disbursements, and normally the very first refunds are sent out on the third Friday from the first day of class. Subsequent disbursement of Financial Aid Refunds will continue each Thursday. The financial aid disbursement date in Banner is not the date refunds are released to BankMobile Vibe accounts.  Please allow up to 14 Business days to receive your disbursement. If you are receiving a loan, the lender’s disbursement date is not the date refunds are released to BankMobile Vibe account.

How will I receive my Refund Selection Kit?

After you have completed your registration, a file will be sent from us to BankMobile Vibe.  A refund selection kit will be mailed to the student’s primary address in Banner.  Please activate your refund preference immediately after receiving your selection kit.

Follow these three simple step to set up your refund preferences:

  1. Visit
  2. Enter your Personal Code
  3. Select the option that best fits you

You have several choices in receiving your refund:

  • ELECTRONIC DEPOSIT TO ANOTHER ACCOUNT - You can link your refunds to your personal account, checking or savings, and it takes 2-3 business days for the receiving bank to credit the money to your account.
  • ELECTRONIC DEPOSIT TO A BANKMOBILE VIBE ACCOUNT - If you open a BankMobile Vibe account (upon identity verification), money is deposited the same business day BankMobile receives funds from us. (Note: a card will be mailed to the student in approximately 5-7 business days)
  • PAPER CHECK DELIVERED BY USPS - A check is mailed the same business day BankMobile receives funds from us, provided receipt is within daily cutoff times. Typically, it takes 5 – 7 business days for the check to arrive, depending on USPS First-Class.

When activating your BankMobile Vibe Account, it will prompt you for a passcode…this is an 8 digit code made of your 2 digit birth month, 2 digit birth day followed by the last 4 digits of your Student ID number. For example:  A student who was born on 06/10/1992 with a Student ID of 930012345 their activation code would be 06102345.

Funds are sent from EGSC to BankMobile Vibe, who then disburses them according to your preference.  If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Shelia Mosley, BankMobile Vibe Advisor, at (478) 289-2365 or Business Affairs at (478) 289-2186.

Why do I need to choose a refund preference with BankMobile Vibe if I am not receiving Financial Aid?

All student refunds are sent to BankMobile Vibe for disbursement.  It's important for students to pay attention to their Banner Web Accounts due to changes in Account Summary.  Below are examples of situations that may result in a Refund and the Banner Codes which signifies a student is due a refund.

  • Student pays for classes out-of-pocket and then withdraws before the drop class deadline (REFN)
  • Student over pays for tuition and fees (OVPY)
  • Student received Financial Aid, and after tuition and fees are paid, there is money left for student (FARB)
Will I be able to use my financial aid to purchase books?

If your financial aid award amount has been “memo/authorized” to your student account and exceeds the amount of tuition and fees you owe, you may be able to charge books at the East Georgia State College Bookstore using a percentage of those funds.  However, you must give EGSC permission to deduct additional charges from excess financial aid.

How do I authorize EGSC to deduct additional charges from excess financial aid?

Four questions will pop up when you log in to Banner Web for the first time. These questions are asking you whether or not you want the Business Office to use your financial aid to pay for other charges such as books, prior semester charges, or non-institutional charges such as parking tickets, fines, etc.

If I don't receive financial aid, when must I pay my tuition and fees?

It is a Board of Regents policy that all tuition and fees are due upon registration.  Final fee payment deadline is the date by which all tuition and fees must be paid to prevent cancellation of your classes.  Final Fee Payment Deadline will be posted on the Academic Calendar and e-mail invoices will be sent to student Cat Mail accounts.

How and where do I pay tuition and fees?

You may pay tuition and fees using the following methods:

  • CASH – Payments by cash should be made at the Business Office on the Swainsboro campus. Our office at East Georgia State College - Statesboro does not accept cash amounts greater than $80.00.
  • CHECK or MONEY ORDER – Check/Money Orders must be made payable to East Georgia State College and can be mailed to the East Georgia State College, Business Office at 131 College Circle, Swainsboro, GA 30401.  Please notate the student ID number on the check/money order. Do not mail payments to the Statesboro address.
  • ONLINE –Tuition/Fee payments may be made online by check or credit/debit cards using the Student's Banner Web account. If you are paying by credit/debit card, you must pay online.  Payments for mandatory tuition and fees are not accepted in person  or over the phone.  If paying by credit/debit card, you will linked to PayPath for payment completion. PayPath accepts American Express, Discover Card, and MasterCard and charges a 2.75 percent convenience fee per transaction. **PayPath does not accept VISA!!!

Steps to Pay Tuition Online

  1. Go to myEGSC and login
  2. Select Banner Web
  3. When Banner Web opens select Student
  4. When the next screen comes up select Student Account
  5. Select Account Summary and scroll to the end of the page.
  6. You will have two options (Pay by Check/Savings or Credit Card Payment).
  7. Enter the Student ID and Pin. Select the correct term
Where do I purchase a parking permit?

Students on the Swainsboro campus can purchase parking permits in the Business Office.  The cost is $15.00 per semester and is part of the mandatory tuition and fees charged to the student account.

Students attending EGSC - Statesboro will need to contact the EGSC-S Office for Parking/Transportation Permits at 912-623-2400. 

Students have four options in regards to the non-mandatory parking and transportation fees. 

  • Option 1) Purchase a parking permit to park at EGSC - S. The cost is $73.00 (non-refundable) per semester – Due at time of purchase
  • Option 2) Purchase an EGSC-S Bus Pass. The cost is $73.00 (non-refundable) per semester – Due at time of purchase
  • Option 3) Purchase both
  • Option 4) Purchase neither
What are your hours of operation?

Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm


What is career counseling like?

Career counseling is generally briefer than other kinds of counseling.  We will begin by discussing some general information about your career interests and values and assist you in completing a career assessment to determine your career interests, aptitudes, and values as well as explore your Holland Code.  Your Holland code is your personality type or “Career Personality” (RIASEC - Realistic, Investigative, Artistic, Social, Enterprising, and Conventional).  It is important that students choose careers that are congruent with these areas so that their career choice is a good match for them. Choosing a career is one of the most important things that you will do as a college student.  Taking the time now to do your research and make a well informed decision about your career field will pay off tremendously.  As you enter your career, you’ll be glad you took the time to ask questions and to complete thorough career exploration.  Our office can assist you in your career assessment and career exploration efforts. 

Can you help me determine what school(s) offers the major I am looking for?

Yes, we can show and demonstrate some tools that you can use to assist you in locating this information as well as answer questions that you might have regarding majors and which school(s) may be a good fit for your career aspirations.

Can you assist me in developing a resume?

Yes, we can assist you in developing a resume that is appropriate for a particular type of job.  We are also available to review resumes and provide input/feedback.

What about cover letters?

We can also help you to develop cover letters specific to a particular job that you’re applying for.  We can also provide input/feedback on a cover letter you have written.

What about Internships (Experiential Learning Opportunities)?

We can assist you in obtaining information on internship opportunities. 

When can I apply for services?

We recommend that students initiate contact as soon as they are accepted as a student at EGSC.  We recommend being proactive in submitting documentation for review, especially if there is possibly a need for updated documentation.  Keep in mind, having documentation reviewed does not mean that you have to utilize our services.  If you later choose to not receive accommodations, this is your choice!
The time between initially submitting documentation and receiving determination of eligibility can sometimes take several weeks and obtaining updated testing can take several months, especially during high volume times at the RCLD.  If you are requesting accommodations that may take a longer time to prepare (i.e. interpreter for the hearing impaired, books in alternative format, special furniture/classroom arrangements etc), we ask for at least 6 weeks notice to ensure accommodations are in place by the start of the semester.

What kinds of disabilities qualify me to receive accommodations?

Covered disabilities include both visible and invisible disabilities.  Some examples include ADD/ADHD, physical/medical disorders, vision/hearing impairments, psychological disorders, and learning disorders.  If you have a question regarding eligibility, please contact us to discuss your concerns.

Where can I send my documentation?

If you know where you will be attending, please send your documentation to the corresponding office.  If you are unsure, send it to our main office in Swainsboro.  You can submit documentation via mail, fax or email.  We ask that if you plan on faxing or mailing your documentation that you call first so that we will know to look for it!  This also helps us make sure we can get your contact information and an idea of how we may help you.


Swainsboro                                                Statesboro
Fax: 478-289-2118                                    Fax: 912-623-2302
Mailing Address:                                        Mailing address:
131 College Circle                                    P.O. Box 8010
Swainsboro, GA 30401                            Statesboro, GA 30460                              

What about temporary disabilities?

Sometimes students encounter disabilities that are temporary, such as a broken arm or a temporary illness.  In these cases we can often arrange for temporary accommodations if we have adequate documentation.  Please contact our office for more information.

Should I go ahead and obtain updated testing since my documentation is from high school?

Not necessarily.  We recommend that students discuss with us what their current documentation is before pursuing updated testing which can often be expensive and time consuming.  Depending on when the documentation was completed and how thorough it is, you may very well be approved for permanent accommodations based on what you already have.  We also provide temporary accommodations for at least 1 semester for students who have documentation but need time to obtain updated testing.  Generally though, documentation must be completed within 3 years from when the student is seeking accommodations. 

Must I disclose my disability as soon as I become a new student at EGSC?

No!  You may choose to disclose your disability at any point during your career at EGSC.  We have many students who initially do not wish to seek accommodations, but later decide that they need to.  We also have many students who set up accommodations initially, but find that they do not need to use them.  When and how often accommodations are utilized is completely up to you, the student.  We do, however, recommend coming to speak with a counselor as soon as you notice your disability may be affecting your academics so that we can discuss your concerns and difficulties.  And remember, the college is not responsible for making accommodations for students who have not disclosed their disability and have not provided appropriate documentation. 

How long will my accommodations be effective?

For students approved for temporary accommodations, these will be effective from the day the contract is completed, until the last day of finals for the semester the accommodations are granted.  In some cases we can extend temporary accommodations beyond one semester if a student is in the process of obtaining updated testing/documentation but has not received results back yet.  For students approved for permanent accommodations, these will be effective from the date we complete contracts throughout your college career.  You WILL have to renew contracts each semester you wish to use accommodations, but you will not be required to submit further documentation.  Permanent accommodations granted through the RCLD will be honored at any school within the University System of Georgia.

For students approved for temporary accommodations, these will be effective from the day the contract is completed, until the last day of finals for the semester the accommodations are granted.  In some cases we can extend temporary accommodations beyond one semester if a student is in the process of obtaining updated testing/documentation but has not received results back yet.  For students approved for permanent accommodations, these will be effective from the date we complete contracts throughout your college career.  You WILL have to renew contracts each semester you wish to use accommodations, but you will not be required to submit further documentation.  Permanent accommodations granted through the RCLD will be honored at any school within the University System of Georgia.

If you have discussed your accommodations with your instructor and obtained their signature on your contract, but are still having difficulty receiving the accommodations, please contact one of our staff members to discuss the issue.  Our job is to help communicate between you and your professor if an issue arises.  Most of the time when accommodations aren’t being received as they should be, it is a matter of misunderstanding or miscommunication.  Remember, we can’t help you if we don’t know, so please contact us in the event this occurs!

What is the Regents Center for Learning Disorders (RCLD)?

The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia has set up three of these centers to help students with learning disorders by providing assessments, reviewing documentation and approving permanent accommodations within the University System.  Each center serves about a dozen schools within the University system.  East Georgia State College works in conjunction with the RCLD located at Georgia Southern University. The RCLD not only works directly with schools, but also with students and parents.  Do not hesitate to call them directly with questions!

What type of ID do I need to get a library card? Check out a book?

EGSC Catcards serve as library cards for EGSC students, faculty and staff. Other residents of Georgia may be eligible to be a Community Borrower by presenting a current, valid Georgia ID card or driver's license. Other forms of ID may be acceptable as well; please click here for the complete Community Borrower policy.

Can I renew my books online?

You can renew both EGSC Library books and books that you have ordered through GIL Express online by accessing your library account online. To renew books requested through interlibrary loan (ILL), please send a request to

I'm not an East Georgia State College student/faculty/staff member. Can I access Library collections?

Most areas in the Library are open to the public. If you sign up to be a Community Borrower, you can check out most materials. Materials in the Heritage Center and the Reference collection do not circulate, but may be viewed in-house.

Where do I get materials on Reserve for a course?

Reserve materials may be checked out from the main Circulation desk to be used in-house only. A current Catcard is required to check out Reserve materials.

Where do I return library materials?

All library materials can be returned to the Circulation desk during any hours the library is open. An outside book drop is located across from the Luck Flanders Gambrell Center on College Circle for your convenience for the return of books and periodicals and for after hours returns. Please return media items to the Circulation desk.

Will my parents, family, friends or professors know I am coming to counseling?

All of the services provided by the Counseling and Disability Services Office are confidential.  Our staff adheres to professional, legal and ethical guidelines that protect your personal information.  This means any information about your contact with our office will not become part of your academic record and cannot be released to any office or individual without your consent.  You may choose to sign a release of information form to allow us to communicate with family or friends and you can choose what information they have access to (ex. Contact in emergencies only).  We will be sure to discuss confidentiality with you in detail at your first appointment.  It is important to note that there are some exceptions to confidentiality.  As counselors, we are mandated to report some information which may include intent to harm yourself or others, or any suspicion of abuse occurring to a vulnerable population such as children, the elderly, the disabled etc.  Our primary goal is to maintain your personal safety as well as the safety of others, and in the event that we believe confidentiality must be breached, we will make every attempt to discuss this with you prior to doing so.

How much do counseling services cost?

All services provided by the Counseling and Disability Services office are free of charge to eligible students. 

When am I eligible to receive counseling services?

You must be registered for classes in the current semester in order to receive personal, academic or career counseling services.  If you have registered for the following semester and have completed the immediate preceding semester with EGSC, you may receive services between the semester breaks.  This includes students who have not registered for summer courses, but were registered in spring and have already registered for fall.   If you withdraw from all classes at any point in the semester, you will no longer be eligible for our services.  If you are a new or returning student, you must have begun classes prior to receiving services. 

How can I set up an appointment for counseling?

You can initiate contact with the counselors through email, phone or by coming to our office.  We will ask you a few questions about what services you are interested in and get a basic idea of your concerns.  We strongly encourage appointments for counseling so that we can ensure we have adequate time to devote to your needs.  Additionally, at this time we have one counselor at each office, so appointments are first come, first served.  You may drop in, but at times we will not be able to meet with you immediately, as we may be serving other students.

How do I apply to live on campus?

You can print an application by visiting our website and looking under "Forms."

In addition to submitting your application, you will need to submit your $50.00 non-refundable housing application fee to the EGSC Business Office (make sure you include student name and ID number). After your application and application fee are received, it will be processed by the EGSC Office of Housing and Residence Life.

Each student who chooses to live on campus will also have to complete a Criminal Background Investigation Consent Form and return it for processing. The CBI Consent Form is also available under "Forms."

NOTE: Housing applicants must have graduated from high school or have obtained an equivalency degree (GED).

What if I change my permanent address or email address after I submit my Residence Hall Application?

Please contact us at or 478-289-2172 when any of your personal information changes. Please include your legal name and student ID number in your email message.

What is the application deadline for housing?

There is no deadline, but rooms are assigned on a first-come basis dependent on completion of paperwork and payment of fees.  Housing is not guaranteed.

How do I request a specific roommate?

The Residence Hall Application has a space for you to write the name of specific roommates. If you choose someone after you have turned in your application, you can email or call us with the addition.

How are roommates assigned?

Roommates are assigned based on information provided on the Residence Hall Application and input from the student. On the application, students can request roommates by name. They also complete a section about hobbies/preferences that helps us match them. If four people do not request each other by name, they will be sent contact information for every applicant that they match. It will be up to them to contact potential roommates and contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life to update their preferences. Any spots available after July 5 will be assigned by the Office of Housing and Residence Life.

Can you change roommates after they have been assigned?

Yes, you can request a roommate change. Changes can be made via EGSC email up to one week before the posted move-in date if space is available.

If I’m having trouble with my roommates, can I change rooms during a semester?

You may request a room change during a semester, but space may not be available for an immediate move. Roommate Agreements will be completed during the first month that the student is on campus. This agreement will ask the four roommates to consider situations they might encounter during a semester and discuss a plan of action. The agreement can be altered at any time to fit the changing needs of the group, but also serves as a platform for mediation.

What furniture comes with the apartment?
  • Living room: modular pieces that can be used as chairs or pushed together to make a couch and/or loveseat; window blinds; ceiling fan
  • Kitchen: refrigerator with ice maker; stove; microwave
  • Bedroom: extra long twin bed with mattress and drawers; desk; desk chair; track closet system; window blinds; ceiling fan

Bobcat Villas-West

  • Twin XL Bed Mattress: 36"Wx80"Dx8"H
  • Twin XL Bed Head/Foot Board: 38"Wx2.5"Dx36"H
  • 3-Drawer Dresser: 30"Wx20"Dx29"H
  • 4-Leg Desk - Standard Suites: 30"Wx24"Dx29"H
  • 4-Leg Desk - ADA Suites: 34"Wx24"Dx29"H
  • Mobile Pedestal/Nightstand: 16"Wx20"Dx29"H
  • 2-Position Chair: 17.5"Wx25"Dx32.5"H
  • (2) Armless Upholstered Chairs: 24"Wx31"Dx31.5"H
  • Coffee Table: 40"Wx22"Dx18"H
What are the dimensions of areas in the apartment?
Bobcat Villas-South
  • Living Room Window: 80”w x 76”h
  • Bedroom: 8’2” x 8’3” (+ closet)
  • Bedroom Window: 40”w x 64”h
  • Closet: track system; 48” shelf with bar for hanging clothes, 19” basket and tie/belt/purse wire hooks will come standard.

Bobcat Villas-West

  • Typical Suite Interior Door: 3'W x 6'-8"H
  • Shower ADA*: 5'W x 2'-10"D
  • Shower Standard*: 4'W x 2'-10"D

*Shower Rod provided - Shower curtain and hooks are not provided

How do I know which apartment I have been assigned?

After you have completed all the steps for application, a temporary assignment will be made and you will be contacted by email.

What if I need special accommodations in housing as a result of a disability?

Contact Counseling and Disability Services at as soon as possible because accommodations take time to be approved and arranged.

May I apply for on-campus housing before being formally accepted to EGSC?

Yes, applications will be processed, and you will be contacted about any missing requirements for admission to EGSC. You cannot live on campus if you are not accepted as a student.

Can I live with a person of a different gender?

No, on-campus housing at EGSC is designed for roommates of the same gender only.

Do I need Renter's Insurance?

The Office of Housing and Residence Life very strongly advises that each resident carry individual renter's insurance for his or her personal property in the event of fire, flood, theft, hurricane, tornado, overflowing tubs, broken pipes, water main breaks, etc.

You must understand that East Georgia State College and the Office of Housing and Residence Life DOES NOT and CANNOT protect any personal belongings against burglary, vandalism, fire, smoke, and other perils.

You must also understand that by not having personal liability insurance, you may be liable to third parties and to East Georgia State College and the Office of Housing and Residence Life, for certain perils which are covered by renter's insurance.

You may be covered by your parents' homeowner's insurance. Check with your parents' homeowner's insurance company to see what is covered and additional information necessary for coverage.

Can I see my room or place items in it before I arrive on opening day?

We will make every effort to have a Preview Room available for touring during Orientation, EGSC Open House, and regularly scheduled campus tours, but cannot allow items to be placed in apartments before a student moves in.

What is a Room Condition Report?

You must complete, sign and return a Room Condition Report at move-in to document any problems with the condition of the room when it is initially occupied. You will be held responsible for any damages to the room found upon move-out unless originally noted on the Room Condition Report or a previously reported maintenance problem.

Rooms will be inspected again at move-out. You must schedule this inspection and be present when it takes place.

Housing and Residence Life will maintain and repair the mechanical systems, plumbing systems, and appliances. Residents will be responsible for any costs that occur from misuse, abuse or neglect to the apartment or the premises.

Do ONLY freshman get to live on campus?

No, any EGSC student can live on campus.

Are all students living on campus required to have a meal plan?

Yes, all students who choose to live on campus will be required to purchase the meal plan.

Will students have access to Wi-Fi if they wanted to bring a laptop?

The entire building offers wireless internet access!

Do I need a computer?

A computer lab is available inside Bobcat Villas-South and Bobcat Villas-West, inside the Jean and L.C. "Shot" Strange Clubhouse, in the JAM Student Center and in the Library, so a student has multiple options on campus if they do not bring a computer. However, all residents have access to the labs inside Bobcat Villas and all EGSC students have access to the other labs, so a student may have to wait their turn during peak times.

Are cookware and utensils provided?

No, cookware and utensils will need to be provided by the student.

Can students stay on campus during holidays?

Although campus housing will officially close during Thanksgiving Week, the Winter break and Spring break, students can complete Request for Housing during Breaks form with the Office of Housing and Residence Life for approval.  Students may leave all belongings in their rooms during these breaks.

What are the visitation procedures and hours for residents?

Visitation hours are posted by the Office of Housing and Residence Life and students are kept updated. Visitors must be 18 years of age or older, must have a current picture ID and must abide by all policies while visiting. Residents are only allowed one visitor at a time since they must escort their guest and are responsible for their actions while visiting.

If each student is only allowed one visitor at a time, what will the procedure be if more than one person wants to come by for the day or stay overnight?

Permission can be requested from the Residence Life Coordinator via email for special circumstances. Overnight guests must be of the same gender as the resident they are visiting.

What happens to my reservation fee if I decide to cancel my on-campus housing before moving in?

The reservation fee is forfeited if the student cancels his/her contract before moving in.

Are pets allowed?

Only service animals are allowed in the residence halls.

Do I have to take a specific number of credit hours to be able to obtain on-campus housing?

We ask that students carry a full academic load (12 hours) during Fall and Spring semesters and at least 6 hours during Summer semester.

Can financial aid be used towards housing costs?

Financial Aid money can be used to pay for housing and meal plan costs beyond the application fee and reservation fee. The application fee and reservation fee must be paid out-of-pocket.

Who is responsible for cleaning the bedrooms and bathrooms?

After students move in, they are responsible for cleaning the apartment. Health and safety inspections will be performed by staff to make sure the apartments are being cleaned on a regular basis.

Can I bring a bicycle?

Absolutely! Bike racks are provided, but students will need to provide their own lock.

Are telephones available on campus or within the units?

Telephone access is available in the Residence Life Coordinator's office for students to use if they need to call home. Emergency phones that directly dial 911 are located near the emergency exit on each hallway.

Is tutoring available for students?

EGSC offers free tutoring in the Academic Center for Excellence located in the Luck Flanders Gambrell building.

Where do I receive my mail?

Each resident will have a mailbox in the Clubhouse. Residents will receive their EGSC address as part of their move-in packet.

Is there a curfew?

Residents do not have a curfew. The lobby doors are locked 24/7 and can only be accessed by a resident with an ID card.

Is cable television service provided?

Cable service is provided in the living room of each apartment. If a student would like to have cable service in their bedroom, they can request information from our local provider and have the service connected in their name.

Where do we do laundry?

Bobcat Villas-South has one laundry room on the first floor; Bobcat Villas-West has one laundry room on the second floor and another on the third floor. Students do have to provide their own laundry detergent, etc., but will not be charged to use the equipment.

Can I bring my own furniture?

EGSC furniture cannot be removed and a clear path has to be maintained to the exit, but students can bring their own furniture to supplement/decorate the apartment.

Is there a place where I can hang out?

The Jean and L.C. "Shot" Strange Clubhouse is accessible to residents and their guests. This facility has a fitness center, a game room, four big-screen TVs, a computer lab, study rooms and a multi-purpose room with kitchen.

Who do I go to if I have questions or need help?

Please contact our office at 478-289-2172 or by email at We will be happy to help you or put you in contact with the correct resource.

What is the EGSC “Student Technology Fee” and what does the fee cover?

A $50 technology fee will be included in EGSC students' matriculation fees each semester. This fee is used to support the information technology services (i.e., Internet / Email access, wireless Internet, printing) provided to EGSC students.  The technology fee also provides each student a printing balance of 300 pages per semester for use in the EGSC computer labs and EGSC library.  Additional printing pages are charged at the rate of 10 cents per page and can be purchased online or on a "pay-as-you-print" basis in the EGSC library or in the student lab at EGSC - Statesboro student computer lab. You must be currently enrolled and currently attending classes at EGSC in order to utilize your 300-page print allowance.  Unused pages are NOT refunded. 

Note: EGSC Students attending EGSC Statesboro will also be charged the current Georgia Southern University technology fee in order to utilize computer lab resources located on the Georgia Southern University campus.

What types of computer hardware and software are available in the student computer labs?

At the main campus, computers are available for students to use in various locations including computer labs, the library, the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) and the Cyber Café. At EGSC Statesboro, three computer labs housing 30 computers each are available.  Students are encouraged to utilize USB Flash Drives for storing their documents and files. These drives can be purchased at the EGSC bookstore or at your local retailer. Each lab has Internet access as well as laser printers. The Microsoft Office Application Suite and other academic software applications are available on the computers in the labs. In addition, students attending EGSC Statesboro can utilize the computer labs located at the Georgia Southern University Campus.

What is the “myEGSC” account / web portal, and how do I access it?

Your myEGSC account is used to access your BANNER Web, GAView D2L, CatMail Email accounts, and other services, which are part of the myEGSC web portal. Your myEGSC account will provide you access to all these applications & services.  Please go to myEGSC for instructions on how to obtain and login to your myEGSC account.

Where do I go to obtain my EGSC Student ID card?

At the Swainsboro campus, Student ID cards can be obtained in the Business Office, which is located in the Jean A. Morgan Student Services Building.  At EGSC Statesboro, Student ID cards can be obtained at the help desk located just inside the building’s main entrance.

How do I authorize my Financial Aid so that I can purchase books and non-institutional expenses?

For instructions on how to authorize your financial aid, please click on the “Online Help” link on the myEGSC login page, then click the link “How to Authorize My Financial Aid?”

What times are the student computer labs available to students and where are the labs located?

The college’s computer labs are open at various times.  Please check the class schedules posted at each lab.   At the Swainsboro campus, student computer labs are located in the main academic building, the Luck F. Gambrell Building and in the P.E. Building. The Cyber Cafe is located in the Jean Morgan Student Services Building.  At EGSC Statesboro, the student computer lab is located in room H134.  You must have an active EGSC student ID to use the EGSC Student Computer labs.  You can obtain your EGSC Student ID at the main campus in the Business Office, which is located in the Jean A. Morgan Student Services Building or at the front desk at EGSC Statesboro. 

NOTE: classes that are scheduled in computer classrooms take priority.

Where are the Information Technology Dept. and Help Desk located?

The department’s main office and help desk are located at the Swainsboro campus in the George L. Smith II Building, which is located between the Luck F. Gambrell Building and the Jean A. Morgan Student Services Building.  The department also has an office (Room H130) at EGSC Statesboro.

Are EGSC students provided an Email address?

All students are provided an EGSC CatMail Email address.  Students will access their EGSC CatMail Email address through their myEGSC user account.  For more information regarding your MyEGSC account, please visit myEGSC.

A student's CatMail Email address remains active for the duration of their enrollment at EGSC.  After one year of non-attendance, the student’s email account and all email messages are deleted.  For additional information about your EGSC student email account, please refer to the EGSC Campus Email policy. Because the college utilizes the EGSC student email address as a primary means for sending communication to students, the college does not utilize a student's third-party email address (i.e., Yahoo account, Gmail account , etc.) for sending email messages to a student.

What are BANNER Web, GA View D2L, and CatMail?

BANNER Web is the EGSC student information system that students use to do things such as viewing their course schedules, grades, financial aid status and related financial information, as well as register online. GA View D2L is the EGSC online course management system that students use to access online course materials, resources, etc., posted by faculty in their respective courses.  For EGSC courses that are totally online, students will need a home computer that has access to the Internet.  CatMail is the EGSC student email system.

Can I get computer-related supplies on campus?

Various computer supplies (i.e., flash / USB drives, software applications) are available for purchase in the EGSC bookstores, which are located in the Jean A. Morgan Student Services Building at the Swainsboro campus and in EGSC Statesboro building.

Can I be notified of campus emergencies (such as campus closings due to bad weather)?

In the event of a campus emergency that may occur at either the main campus or at EGSC – Statesboro, the college utilizes the ConnectED Emergency Notification System to alert students, faculty & staff via email and telephone.  You can also receive alerts via text message on your cellular phone.  For more information about the ConnectED system, please click here.

Are there any computer lab restrictions?

Only drinks / beverages in containers with lids, caps, or covers may be consumed in computer labs.  Food items & tobacco products and other similar-type products are not allowed in the computer labs under any circumstances because they have the potential for damaging the equipment located in the computer labs and can create unsanitary conditions. While using an EGSC student computer lab, users may use cellular telephones and other similar communication devices for texting only.  Because it can be disturbing to others, cell phone conversations should occur outside of student computer labs.  The computer labs are for EGSC students, faculty, and staff use only.  Please do not bring small children in the computer labs as doing so may disturb others.  A college ID is needed to use the student computer labs.  See the Rules for Computer Labs for details.

Is wireless Internet access available at EGSC?

Wireless Internet access is available for students to use at the EGSC Swainsboro campus and at EGSC.  Students should ensure that their laptop / mobile device has a wireless network device that is 802.11 b/g/n network compatible.  In order to connect to the campus wireless network, students’ laptops / mobile devices must have an antivirus program installed, and units with Windows operating systems must be current with Microsoft patches & updates.  If your laptop does not have an antivirus program installed, you will need to purchase or download an antivirus program.  Examples include Norton, AVG and McAfee. If students have problems accessing the wireless network, they should obtain assistance from the college’s Information Technology department.  See the instructions to connect to our wireless Internet access.

May I download video and music files via the EGSC data network?

Users of the EGSC data network are not allowed to download video and/or music files to any workstation (college-owned or other) connected to the college's network.  Please refer to the "East Georgia College Information Technology Acceptable Use Policy."  

Does EGSC have policies and procedures relating to the college’s information technology services and the utilization of these services?

The college's policies and procedures on information technology can be viewed on the Offices / President’s Office / Policies and Procedures of the College web page here.

What can I expect from personal counseling?

Personal counseling is a collaborative process between the counselor and the student aimed at focusing on specific goals you have set.   Common goals include reducing anxiety/depression, improving relationships, improving self-esteem and overcoming a traumatic experience.  Sessions are generally 50 minutes and can be scheduled weekly, bi-weekly or at other intervals as mutually decided on.  Personal counseling is not a “magic wand” and the counselor cannot reach your goals for you, however, we can help guide you in the direction to do so successfully.  It is an active process that will take work on your part both in and outside of sessions, and we are willing to help you do this!

Will my parents, family, friends or professors know I am coming to counseling?

All of the services provided by the Counseling and Disability Services Office are confidential.  Our staff adheres to professional, legal and ethical guidelines that protect your personal information.  This means any information about your contact with our office will not become part of your academic record and cannot be released to any office or individual without your consent.  You may choose to sign a release of information form to allow us to communicate with family or friends and you can choose what information they have access to (ex. Contact in emergencies only).  We will be sure to discuss confidentiality with you in detail at your first appointment.  It is important to note that there are some exceptions to confidentiality.  As counselors, we are mandated to report some information which may include intent to harm yourself or others, or any suspicion of abuse occurring to a vulnerable population such as children, the elderly, the disabled etc.  Our primary goal is to maintain your personal safety as well as the safety of others, and in the event that we believe confidentiality must be breached, we will make every attempt to discuss this with you prior to doing so.

Are there any limits to concerns I can bring to personal counseling sessions?

While we do our best to meet your needs and often deal with severe and on-going concerns, some issues may exceed the scope of what our counselors are qualified to address.  Additionally, your needs may exceed the services that we can provide in our counseling center at this time.  We will discuss this with you and provide referral information for clinicians in the community who may be better suited to meet your needs.  Some examples of needs that may exceed our qualifications/services include: chronically suicidal/homicidal/psychotic students, students suffering from severe psychiatric diagnoses beyond the scope of our training, students presenting with a primary diagnosis of substance dependence, and students whose presenting concerns pose ethical conflicts (ex. Roommates seeking individual counseling to talk about one another, family members seeking individual counseling to talk about one another etc.).

Often we can work with students in conjunction with their medical doctors/other treating clinicians, so please be sure to contact us to discuss suitability for services before assuming we cannot help you.

Can I have medications prescribed through the Counseling Center?

One limitation to our counseling center is that we do not have medical doctors on staff, so we will not be able to provide any medication management services.  Please speak with us about referrals to physicians who can prescribe medications, including those who operate on a sliding fee scale and accept patients without insurance.

Can I have medications prescribed through Health Services?

For students in Statesboro

You may utilize Health Services at Georgia Southern, however, they will not provide NEW prescriptions to students who are not currently receiving medication management from their home physician.  If you ARE currently receiving medication from your home physician, contact GSU Health Services to discuss transferring your records.  If documentation can be provided directly from your treating physician, Health Services will often refill prescriptions during the times you may not be able to visit your physician to receive refills.  Statesboro students CANNOT receive any services from Georgia Southern’s Counseling and Career Development Center.  This includes personal counseling, crisis intervention, and/or psychiatric services.

For Students in Swainsboro:

Please contact Health Services in Swainsboro to discuss ability to prescribe psychiatric medications.  They can be reached at: (478) 289-2182