EGSC Frequently Asked Questions

Admissions FAQ

Admissions FAQ

Can I take classes from East Georgia State College before I graduate from high school?

Yes, you can through our Dual Enrollment program, now referred to as Move On When Ready

What if I attend a private institution?

You can enroll as a MOWR student as long as you meet the guidelines listed below.

What are the requirements to participate in the MOWR program?
  • Attend a MOWR participating school public or private secondary educational institution within the State of Georgia or a home study program operated pursuant to §O.C.G.A. 20-2-690 that has been approved by the Georgia Student Finance Commission. Ask your guidance counselor to be sure your school is approved to participate.
  • Eligible SAT, ACT, Compass or Accuplacer test scores
  • SAT: Minimum Critical Reading 430/Math 400, composite of 970 (if taken prior to March 2016)


             Minimum Reading subscore 24/Math subscore 22 (if taken after March 2016)

  • ACT: Minimum English 17/Math 17, composite of 20
  • Compass: Minimum Reading 74/Writing 60/Algebra 37
  • AccuPlacer: Minimum Reading 61/WritePlacer 4/Elementary Algebra 79*. If Reading score is 75 or higher, WritePlacer is not required

*An Algebra score of 79 is required for students who need MATH 1111 (College Algebra) for the Honors Track or if their intended program of study requires College Algebra. An Algebra score of 67 is required only if the student does not need College Algebra for the Honors Track and their intended program of study only requires MATH 1001 (Quantitative Reasoning) or MATH 1101 (Mathematical Modeling).

  • Have a High School academic GPA of 3.0 or higher (as calculated by the Office of Admissions).
  • Obtain approval from high school guidance counselor and parents/guardians
  • Be on track to complete the Required High School Curriculum (RHSC), as defined by the University System of Georgia.
What is the EGSC @Statesboro location?

Since 1997, more than 9,300 students have attended East Georgia State College at Statesboro (EGSC-S). The EGSC-Statesboro initiative was designed to give qualified students the opportunity to attend East Georgia State College at Statesboro without being referred by Georgia Southern University.

At EGSC-Statesboro, students can enjoy personalized instruction in smaller classes with teachers who are committed to the field of education. After completing 30 hours of college-level coursework, East Georgia State College students who have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 or better are eligible to transfer to Georgia Southern University, or another university-level institution, though many choose to attend classes in Swainsboro and complete the requirements for an Associate in Arts degree.

Additionally, while at EGSC-Statesboro, students enjoy many of the benefits of Georgia Southern University, including cultural events, campus meal plans, intramural sports, library use, fitness extension facilities, athletic tickets, marching band, and more. Students attending EGSC-Statesboro are also eligible to enroll in health and physical education classes through Georgia Southern University.

What is the EGSC @Augusta location?

At EGSC-Augusta, students can enjoy personalized instruction in smaller classes with teachers who are committed to the field of education. After completing 30 hours of college-level coursework, East Georgia State College students who have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 or better are eligible to transfer to Augusta University, or another university-level institution, though many choose to attend classes in Swainsboro and complete the requirements for an Associate in Arts degree.

While at EGSC-Augusta on the Summerville campus, you will be able to use GRU classrooms and you will be issued a Augusta University ID card which entitles you to use the GRU library, recreation center and some of the food services that Augusta University offers.

What are the minimum general admission requirements for high school graduates?

If you are a recent graduate or have graduated within the last 5 years, you are considered a traditional student. You must graduate from an accredited high school, passed all five areas of the graduation exam or the end of course test or have earned a GED. Students that receive a Certificate of Attendance or Performance/Special Education diploma will be required to get a GED before acceptance.

I have a GED but my high school class has not graduated yet. Can I attend EGSC?

Students who submit GED scores prior to their graduating class will be considered for admission on a case by case basis.

Are students required to take the SAT or ACT test?

Effective June 1, 2005, East Georgia State College no longer requires the SAT or ACT for admission purposes. Students that have scores are asked to submit their scores as they may be able to exempt our entrance exam. Otherwise students without SAT/ACT scores will be required to take our entrance exam prior to admission.

What are the 17 Required High School Curriculum (RHSC) units?

For students graduating prior to 2012 - 4 units of English, 4 units of Math, 3 units of Natural Science, 3 units of Social Science, and 2 units of Foreign Language (must be 2 of the same language). Students enrolling for the Fall 2012 and subsequent semesters will need to have completed 17 Units with an additional Natural Science Unit.

What if I did not take the 3 - Natural Science, 3 - Social Science or 2 - Foreign Languages? How will I satisfy those requirements?

You will be required to take ONE additional course in the area in which you are deficient.  The course will count in your cumulative GPA and will now count toward degree credit and in your transferable hours. You must earn a minimum of a ‘C’ in these courses. Only one course in each area is required.

What is the Accuplacer Exam?

Accuplacer is a computer-adaptive exam used to assess college readiness in Reading, English and Math. It is part of the college admissions and enrollment process where the scores are used by advisors to help students take courses that match their skill level and give them the best opportunities for success.

If your English, Reading, or Math skills are not yet at college-level, EGSC offers developmental Reading, English, and Math courses to help you.  These courses will not count toward degree and/or graduation requirements, but they can help provide you with the foundational skills which can assist you in reaching your academic goals.

Why is Accuplacer called an "adaptive" test?

The test changes or “adapts” based on your performance. If you answer questions correctly, you will receive a question of greater difficulty and higher value; if you answer a question incorrectly, you will be presented with an easier question of lesser value.

Are all students required to take the entrance exam?

All new incoming freshmen are required to take the entrance exam, unless they can exempt sections by meeting the ACT/SAT minimum test requirements and the completion of the 4 Required High School Curriculum (RHSC) units of English and the 4 Required High School Curriculum (RHSC) units of Math.

Are there any tips I should know prior to taking the entrance exam?
  • Relax→ The entrance exam is designed to help so that you can enroll in courses that are best suited for you. It is not pass/fail, and it is not timed.
  • Concentrate on the test→ Focus on test questions and tune out distractions. You want to make the most out of your testing opportunity.
  • Strategize→ Because it’s an adaptive test, you should answer every question when it is first given to you. You can change your answer before you move on to the next question, but you cannot leave a question and come back to it later. If you do not know the answer, try to eliminate one or more of the choices and then select from the remaining options.
  • Make sure you understand the directions→ Information is provided before you begin each section of the test, so make sure you read all directions. If you have questions, ask a member of the Testing Center staff.
  • Move at your own pace→ Other students may finish at different times from you. Remember, each student has a different test based on their responses, so some will have shorter tests than others. Others may only be taking a single portion of the test.
  • Do your best→ Use your knowledge, logic and common sense to work through the question, and have confidence in your ability to determine the best answer.
How long are my scores good for?

Accuplacer scores are only good for 1 year from date of administration.

What if I do not achieve the exempting score?

You will be placed into that Learning Support area and be required to successfully complete the course with a grade of ‘C’ or better.

What are the minimum entrance exam scores?
  Compass AccuPlacer ASSET
Min. Score for Writing 4 eWrite OR 
3 WritePlacer 37 Writing Skills
Min. Score for Reading 62 Reading 46 Reading Comprehension 36 Reading Skills
Min. Score for Algebra  20 Algebra 32 Elem. Algebra 31 Algebra  w/Elem Algebra
What are the scores needed to exempt Learning Support courses?
 Exempting Scores ACT Old SAT
(prior to March 2016)
(as of March 2016)
Compass AccuPlacer ASSET
Score for Writing 17 English 430 Critical Reading 24 Reading 60 Writing
OR 7 eWrite   
4 WritePlacer 42 Writing Skills
Score for Reading  17 English 430 Critical Reading 24 Reading 74 Reading 61 Reading Comprehension
If Reading Comp is 75+, WritePlacer not required
40 Reading Skills
Score for Algebra 17 Math 400 Math 22 Math 37 Algebra 67 Elem. Algebra (Math 1001, 1101)
79 Elem. Algebra (Math 1111)
42 Algebra w/Elem Algebra
What is EPI/MPI?

Entrance exam placement scores alone no longer determine placement, as per USG policy, a Mathematics Placement Index (MPI) and an English Placement Index (EPI) will be calculated based on High School Grade Point Average (HSGPA), SAT or ACT and, when indicated, and approved placement test. 

  LS Foundation
Support Range
LS Co-Requisite
Support Range
Placement Level
English Placement Index (EPI) 3032-3725 3726-4229 4230 + Above
Math Placement Index (MPI)
Math 1001 or 1101 (Non-STEM)
3032-3725 989-1164 1165 + Above
Math Placement Index (MPI)
Math 1111 (STEM)
928-988 989-1264 1265 + Above


What if I do achieve the minimum passing scores or am not required to test and wish to “opt-in” to help myself?

You are eligible to audit the courses at your own discretion in collaboration with an academic advisor.

Can I retake the Entrance Exam?

Yes, students are allowed two more attempts after the first. However prior to the third attempt, students are required to remediate(study) in our ACE for at least 26 hours.

Will there be a charge for re-testing?

Yes, $15 to re-test, no matter how many areas.  Students must pay before they re-test and receipt must be presented to the test administrator before re-testing

Who will accept the re-testing fee?

You must pay in the Business office and provide the receipt to the Admissions office before testing.

I need testing accommodations for the entrance exam, who do I speak with?

If you are a student that needs accommodations on our entrance exam, you will need to coordinate these accommodations with the Counseling and Disability Services Office (478) 289-2039.

Where can I complete the Admissions Application?

Applications must be submitted online through GAfutures website

How will I know if I am admitted?

Following receipt of your admission application and all necessary supporting documentation, your application will be reviewed.  You will receive a letter stating whether or not you have been accepted at the address you provided on your admissions application.

*Due to the amount of paperwork coming in, it can take up to three weeks for notification of Acceptance or testing requirement.

What do you mean by supporting documentation?

All applicants are required to complete an admission application, provide official unopened high school transcripts, any and all prior college or technical school transcripts, and immunization forms with records. Failure to provide this documentation can prevent or delay acceptance and or registration.

What do you mean by Immunization Records? What shots are required for admission?

All students must provide documentation from their physician, health department, etc. that they have been immunized for measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR1/MMR2), Tetanus-Diphtheria Vaccine (MTD), and proof of Chicken Pox or Shingles disease or the Varicella Vaccine (MCP) unless they claim a religious exemption. Meningococcal Vaccine (MENI) is highly recommended for those students living in on-campus housing. Students that are 18 or younger at the time of matriculation will also be required to have 3 doses of Hepatitis B Vaccine (MHPB). Students who claim religious exemption, in the event of an outbreak, will be asked to leave campus to prevent infection. Under Georgia law, we are required to notify students they may also need to be immunized for Meningitis and Hepatitis B. The Tetanus-Diphtheria Vaccine (MTD) must have been given within the past 10 years to satisfy the requirement.

If I am accepted to East Georgia State College, what is my next step?

Your acceptance letter will notify you of any outstanding documents needed for your file and will be followed up by an email to your myEGSC CatMail account telling you how to register for an Orientation date as well as when and where to come to New Student Orientation and Registration.

What is P.A.W.S. Orientation? Why is it so important?

The orientation program is where you and your parents (if they so choose to attend) will find out the "need-to-know" information about life as a college student. You will use all information provided to you during orientation at some time during the course of your academic career. You will receive an East Georgia State College Student ID card and this will be the only opportunity to register for your classes.

The entrance exam will need to be completed PRIOR to Orientation, as we no longer test students during that time. Students that attend Orientation and have not fulfilled that requirement will be asked to come back at a later date.

If you are unable to attend any of the available Orientations, unfortunately you must wait until Schedule Adjustment, which is the first three days of classes, to be able to register for any available classes.

Do I have to attend the P.A.W.S. Orientation program?

Yes - Attendance is mandatory regardless of the campus attending unless you are an Dual Enrollment, Transient, or Non-Degree Seeking/Post-Baccalaureate Student. MOWR students will have a separate Orientation and they will be notified of that date via their high school counselor.

When will I actually be registered?

At the end of the orientation program with AN advisor, not your specific one. Based on your major or campus location, you will be assigned an Advisor after classes begin by the Registrar’s office prior to the next semester’s Early Registration period.

You mentioned an academic advisor. How will I know who that is?

At the new student orientation/registration, advisement is handled in a random manner.  You will be advised and registered by your group leader.  Prior to your first ‘early’ registration for a subsequent semester, you can look on-line by logging in with your user ID and pin# to your myEGSC account via BannerWeb under the Student Services>View Student Information>Registration window, or by going to the academic department and determine the name of your permanently assigned advisor.

I still have questions and nothing on here has an answer for me. Who can I contact?

If you have questions regarding the following:

  • admissions process and/or documents
  • testing
  • Orientation
  • Financial Aid
  • scholarships
  • student loans/tax papers
  • VA Benefits
  • GI Bill use
  • registration
  • proctored exams
  • account holds

please contact the Student Affairs Office at (478) 289-2169 or through the Student Affair contact form.

If you have questions regarding payments, student insurance plans, tuition amounts, etc. please contact the Business Office at 478-289-2000.

If you're not sure who to contact, please call Student Affairs and we will direct you to the right person.