CHOICE students and student workers celebrate a birthday.
CHOICE is a two year collegiate program culminating in the potential receipt of college course credit, workforce preparedness, and lifelong learning experiences. The East Georgia State College inclusion program is designed for students with disabilities who desire to pursue a complete college immersion experience.
Students with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities may qualify for this program.
An Intellectual Disability is a disability that originates before the age of 18 and is characterized by significant limitations, both in intellectual functioning (reasoning, learning, problem solving) and in adaptive behavior (everyday social and practical skills).
A Developmental Disability is a chronic condition that develops before a person reaches age 22 and limits his/her ability to function mentally and/or physically. These disabilities may include but are not limited to cerebral palsy and autism.
Students in the CHOICE Program attend college for the same reasons other students attend:
- to further their education
- to develop lifelong friendships
- to develop career opportunities
- to gain independence
- to create life enriching experience
- The CHOICE program provides instruction in the following areas: career development and employment, academic enrichment, campus and community engagement, self-determination, and independent living.
- The CHOICE Program staff creates a unique and customized plan for achievement using a person-centered planning approach. Student participants audit traditional courses, complete specialized CHOICE courses, and participate in job shadowing/internship experiences on and off campus to support career exploration and development of employment skills.
- In addition to the academic program, CHOICE students have access to the Jean Anderson Morgan Student Activities Center, recreation and exercise activities, sporting and entertainment events, and student clubs and organizations.
- Upon successful completion of the program requirements, participants will receive a CHOICE Certificate of Career Development and will also have the opportunity to qualify for a Georgia Work Readiness Certificate.