Registrar's Office

Registrar’s Office: Grades and Grade Point Average Calculation

How soon after the term will I get my grades?

Grades will be posted to a student’s BANNER WEB Account no later than 3 Business days after the last day of final exams. Grades are not mailed to the student’s residence. Students are responsible for accessing their BANNER WEB Account to review their grades at that time and to challenge them if they do not agree with a grade they received for a course.

Can I call the Office of the Registrar and ask for my grades by phone?

No. For security and confidentiality reasons, no grades may be released to any party by phone. Students may request a copy of the grades by submitting a Transcript Request Form to the Office of the Registrar. Or log in to their Banner Web Account, select the Student Menu and check their final grades, academic standing and cumulative GPA.

How can I be sure how well I am doing in my course(s)?

Students should talk with instructor(s) about their progress and seek help early to improve their grades on class room assignments. Early intervention grade reports are e-mailed to students experiencing academic difficulty before the midterm of each semester by the Vice President for Academic Affairs. If at the end of the semester students are no longer on Good Standing, the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs will send an Academic Standing letter to them. To maintain Good Standing, students must earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.

I do not agree with the grade I received in a particular class. Who do I consult?

Students questioning a grade assigned to them in a particular class must contact the faculty instructor who taught that class. If the faculty instructor is unavailable, the student may contact the division office under which that class is taught. If students need further assistance, consult the current EGSC catalog for challenging grade procedures.

How do I remove an ‘I’ (Incomplete) grade from my record?

An ‘I’ grade indicates the student was passing the course, but for non-academic reasons beyond their control, was unable to meet the full requirements of the course.  To remove this grade the student must satisfy the instructor's remaining requirements. He/she will calculate the student’s final class grade, complete a Grade Change Form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar for processing the change.  Once processed the GPA will be recalculated and reflected on the student’s academic record.  Only grades of A, B, C, D or F or WF affect the GPA.  An ‘I’ is expected to be satisfied by the end of the student’s next semester of enrollment.  Without regard to enrollment, an ‘I’ must be removed within one calendar year.  If the student does not complete their course requirements, the ‘I’ will convert to an ‘F’. Students Do not repeat a course for which they received an ‘I’.

How do I check my grades via BANNER web?

Students log into their  myEGSC Account, click on the BannerWeb icon, select the Student Services tab, click on Student Records Information Menu and then select Final Grades or check their transcript to verify grades, academic standing, and cumulative GPA.

How do I obtain myEGSC password?

Your initial myEGSC password is the last four digits of your social security number followed by the last two digits of the year you were born. Example: SSN #: ***-**-1234   Birthdate: 04/01/1993    Password = 123493 

How do I figure my GPA?

View the chart below.

What else will I be able to access on BANNER web?

  • Students will be able to view an unofficial copy of their transcript
  • Students’ personal information on record with EGSC – if it is not current, report the current address and phone number to the Office of the Registrar.
  • Student HOLDS, if any, on their record –they are responsible to resolve fees or fines, missing documents before the next registration period.
  • Grading System

All institutions in the University System of Georgia use a 4.0 grade-point average system. The following grades have been approved for use by East Georgia State College and are included in the determination of the grade-point average:


Excellent A 4.0
Good B 3.0
Satisfactory C 2.0
Passing D 1.0
Failure F 0
Withdrew Failing WF 0
Satisfactory S 0
Unsatisfactory U 0
Audit V 0


The following symbols are approved for use in the cases indicated, but will not be included in the determination of grade-point average:
This symbol indicates that a student was doing satisfactory work, but for non-academic reasons beyond the students' control, was unable to meet the full requirements for completion of the course.  An ‘I’ not removed the succeeding semester automatically convert to an F I
This symbol indicates that a student's work is in progress. It is assigned when a student enrolled in a Learning Support course makes progress during the semester but fails to reach the competency required to complete the course. The student is to enroll in the course again the next semester. IP
This symbol indicates that a student was given credit for the course via an approved credit by examination program (CLEP, AP, Proficiency, etc.) K
Indicates that no grade has been reported for the course. The student should contact the course instructor immediately. NR
S is for satisfactory and U is for unsatisfactory S,U
This symbol indicates that a student was given permission to audit the course. Students may not transfer from audit to credit status or vice versa. V
This symbol indicates that a student was permitted to withdraw without penalty. Withdrawals without penalty will not be permitted after the mid-point of the total grading period (including final examinations) except in cases of documented hardship as determined by the Vice President of Academic Affairs. W
Indicates a student, already enlisted in the armed forces,   received emergency mobilization orders and had to withdraw from all classes. Student who review a Military Withdrawal are withdrawn as of the first day of classes. A 100% refund is issued to the student or whoever paid the student’s tuition.  The student will receive – WM grades for all courses that he/she registered for and all hours are counted as attempted on the student’s record. WM