USG Highlights Ethical Culture Through Ethics Awareness Week November 7 - 11, 2022
The University System of Georgia (USG) is committed to the highest ethical and professional standards of conduct in pursuit of its mission to create knowledge. Accomplishing this mission demands integrity, good judgment and dedication to public service from all members of the USG community. Annually, the USG highlights this commitment through an Ethics Awareness Week which is scheduled each year in November. The purpose of this week is to remind employees of our commitment to an ethical culture and our shared ethical values and expectations.
The Chancellor has emphasized the importance of an ethical culture and how it is critical to the success of not only our institutions, but our employees, students, communities and ultimately how Georgia is educated.
Ethics Awareness Week is part of a comprehensive Ethics and Compliance Program. This Program includes a system-level Ethics Policy and Code of Conduct, on-board ethics training, periodic ethics refresher training, compliance audits, special reviews and an Ethics and Compliance Reporting Hotline.
In support of this effort, East Georgia State College will be hosting activities to build upon our ethical culture by promoting activities related to our system-wide shared core values of integrity, excellence, accountability and respect.
Activities during this week will bring awareness to ethics, reinforce the principles of recognizing the hard work of employees and promote our shared values. Our theme for this week is the “SPIRIT of USG.” Activities planned will emphasize:
Stewardship. Prevention. Integrity. Responsibility. Inspiration. Trust.
2022 Ethics Awareness Week Activities
- TikTok Contest: What does “Respect” Mean to Me? - contest opens November 1 and runs through November 8. Winner will be announced November 10. Faculty, staff and students should watch their CatMail for rules and how to submit an entry.
- Compliance Training Modules - All faculty, staff and student workers were required to complete the following
trainings by November 30, 2022:
- Ethics Refresher 2022
- Ethics Hotline Reporting Process and Procedures
- Conflict of Interest and Conflict of Commitment Policy
- Right to Know
- Links to the training were sent via email from President Schecter and Tracy Woods, Director of Human Resources.
- Daily Faculty/Staff Email Trivia Quiz Competition - Ethics Trivia Questions were distributed daily via e-mail. The first faculty/staff member to reply with a correct response each day will win a prize! Every employee who answered the questions will be entered in a drawing held at the end of the week, so, even if you weren't first to answer, you still have a chance to win a prize!
- Daily Student Email Trivia Quiz Competition - Students will receive emails challenging them to "find the ethics violation" in a photo. The first student to reply with a correct response each day will win a prize! Every student who answered the questions will be entered in a drawing held at the end of the week, so, even if you weren't first to answer, you still have a chance to win a prize!
- Ethics-Themed Books and Movie Display in Library
- Resource Tables with ethics and fraud awareness materials were available in the common areas of each building at all three locations.
- Bobcat Pledge Banner Signing - all locations, all week
- Ethics-Themed Movies: Philadelphia and Trading Places - held in the Theater in the JAM Center all week.
- Monday, November 7 at 11 a.m. - USG Chancellor's Speaker Dennis Cathey of Chick-Fil-A - livestream via Teams - check your CatMail for more details.
- Thursday November 10: USG Ethics and Compliance Best Practices in Higher Education - (pre-recorded) More details to be announced soon!
- EGSC-Augusta students may participate in Augusta University's activities: https://jagwire.augusta.edu/augusta-university-to-celebrate-values-week-2022/
- EGSC-Statesboro students may participate in Georgia Southern University's activities: https://www.georgiasouthern.edu/ethicsawareness/
- Publicity is shared via a press release, emails, and social media.
EGSC Ethics Awareness Week Committee
- Mary Smith, Legal Counsel/Chief of Staff, Chair
- Veronica Cheers, Coordinator of Student Life
- Dr. David Chevalier, AVP for Academic Affairs
- Meghan Crews, Library Director
- Sherrie Helms, AVP for Student Conduct and Title IX
- Courtney Joiner, EGSC-Statesboro Director
- Nick Kelch, EGSC-Augusta Director
- Katelyn Moore, IT and Creative Services Specialist
- Cynthia Reese, Assistant Director of Student Conduct/Deputy Title IX Coordinator
- Harley Smith, Director of Institutional Advancement and Community Relations
- Tracy Woods, Director of Human Resources
- Sheila Wentz, Director of Financial Accounting